Sunday, September 12, 2010

GRANDCHILD VS GRANDPARENT

What made me think that grandchildren should respect their Grandparents? I guess I came from the old school of manners. When the grandparent can't correct the child or the child decides he can just mouth off to the grandparent, shocks me.

Just last week, we had an incident whereby one of our grandchildren, a 20 year old showed so much hate and anger that he no longer wants anything to do with us, yet he has spent many a summer vacation at our house and did whatever he wanted to do, even sleeping till 1:00 p.m. while everyone kept quiet for him. He hardly ever ate with us cause he wasn't hungry then, but when the dishes were done and we were ready to go someplace, he had to look for something to eat. He text messaged on his phone to his friends day and night, even while playing a game of cards with his grandfather. Is this something all kids do? He is not a kid, cause he is over 18.

Well maybe I'm wrong, but I was brought up to respect my elders, even if I didn't like what was said. In todays society they can mouth off and get away with it, and it seems quite all right.

It's pretty sad when the parents have lost control and side with this kind of behavior instead of correcting it, but then again, he probably does this with his parents also.

Maybe he is a lost cause. He cannot take critism even from family, and the reason I think he can't, is, because he is and feels guilty of every thing we talk to him about, and feels he knows better.

One day maybe he will get knocked in the head and hopefully wake up or forever stay ignorant.

5 comments:

John Beauregard said...

I recall in my teens that I thought I was so much smarter than my parents and teachers even though I did not express it openly but they knew. I believe I did badly in high school mostly because of that attitude. In college and in my first "real" job I discovered how little I knew and that I could learn something from most people.

Hang in there. Chalk it up to youthful arrogance and ignorance. They will get theirs in their sixties.

Marcel said...

The progeny have a big problem, they do not know who you are. Are they aware of your talents? Are they aware of your accomplishments? Are they aware of your perseverance in troubling times? Are they aware of your concern for them? Are they aware of you prayers that they have successful lives? Are they aware that you can outwork many of them even at this age? Are they aware how good you look and smell? Are they aware how much work and trouble it is to raise six kids? Are they aware that you have given them very successful genes for a longer life?

What they believe is that you are just a grandmother like all other grandmothers and that is not the truth. If they really knew you they would want to know how you managed to have such a successful life, and being the nice person you are you would help them to achieve a similar success.

John Beauregard said...

What a fine tribute to a great lady. I would add that Pat is my favorite sister-in-law and more important I consider her my friend. Recall you can't chose your relatives but you CAN chose your friends.

patb said...

Marcel, you are the love of my life, and without you, I would not have been able to do all I've done for my family. You have supported me and the kid's and I love you for that. This is what I've wanted all of my life is to have a beautiful large family. The Lord has blessed me with that, and I still pray to him to guide my grandchildren, watch over them and protect them. They don't see the big picture, so they don't know. I never had grandparents that I could talk to or get guidance from, but our Lord has put that in me.

The world today is so different today, with kids thinking they are smarter than their elders. We are the old folks that just happen to be.

patb said...

John, I love you too.

Thank you for loving me, in the way that you do.

I've always felt a closeness to you ever since I entered your family.

Thanks for thinking of me as a close friend.

I feel very special.